Who, me catalogue?

Do you use any of the online book-cataloguing sites, like Library Thing or Shelfari? Why or why not? (Or . . . do you have absolutely no idea what I’m talking to?? (grin))
If not an online catalog, do you use any other method to catalog your book collection? Excel spreadsheets, index cards, a notebook, anything?


Despite being a library page for my very first job and going on to be a teacher-librarian, I do not keep automated records of my books. In fact, unless they are the reference books in my home office, neatly shelved within arm's reach of the computer, you could say I shelve them according to where they will fit. Why? I dunno. I think my natural instinct is to be only as organized as I have to be, preferably when someone is paying me to do so. I'm a pack rat who has trouble throwing away any published item. Once every three years I throw out enough magazines to start a recycling business. I could fight it, but my husband's just the same. It's like a bad Star Trek episode where the lead character gets doubled and has to wrestle with himself on camera. Well, sort of like that. No pancake makeup, no fake sweat.

Labels: