BTT - On a roll

This week, Booking Through Thursday asks:

Do you get on a roll when you read, so that one book leads to the next, which leads to the next, and so on and so on?

I don’t so much mean something like reading a series from beginning to end, but, say, a string of books that all take place in Paris. Or that have anthropologists as the main character. Or were written in the same year. Something like that… Something that strings them together in your head, and yet, otherwise could be different genres, different authors…

I will read a string of books if they are very funny, like the Myth series. Sometimes I will try to read a group of books that are similar to a project I am trying to write or that will help me with a course. For this reason I have read a lot of childrens' literature and young adult novels in the past few years. My compulsive read is the dystopia genre. If you recommend a dystopia to me, I have to read it. They are my favorite.

Dystopias aside, I do read by author. At one point I had read everything written by Salmon Rushdie but he is prolific and I have not been keeping up lately. I will read anything by Margaret Atwood, although I have quite a bit of catching up to do there too.

In French, I will read anything by Amelie Nothomb. I have read all of Proust's A La Recherche Du Temps Perdu but I haven't read his letters. I only wish Voltaire were still writing. What era could be easier to satirize than our own?

Labels: